Sunday 24 May 2009

Hot head!

Ever feel a little out of sync with the rest of the world? This could well be one of those moments for me... On the hottest weekend of the year so far, let me share my latest finished item - an angora tammy for MissBlethersTheElder!
Angora Tammy
The yarn was bought on our recent trip to Wonderwool Wales - from Easter Bunnies/ Crafty Angora. It's so soft to the touch, especially the grey yarn. Once the knitting and sewing up were done, the hat had to be dampened and then was popped in the tumble dryer, on low setting, for 10 minutes at a time until the desired size is achieved. I did confess it might have been me responsible for the blocked filter that MrB adeptly cleaned later, muttering "bloomin' dogs"!
......
Great news too for knitters in Cardiff - a new local yarn store opened on Thursday, called Big Knitters (located at the top of Wellfield Road, by the junction with Albany Road). Although a compact shop, the owner has made best use of the available space. They carry a pretty range of yarns - Rowan, select Sirdar, and a french range of yarns. However, consumer opinions are being sought about other ranges to carry. It'll be exciting to see what develops.

A number of Welsh Raveler's met up there on Saturday and we'd a really lovely morning - browsing patterns, touching yarn, chatting ... accompanied by complementary coffee and yummy homemade cup cakes. Apparently, there are plans for a monthly cupcake session and also to hold a weekly group when they're a little more settled. I got the new Sirdar Juicy pattern book and cast on the Leaf top in soft green Calico last night. Normally, I detest knitting in cotton. The lack of 'give' in cotton niggles me and I struggle to get an even tension over the body of a garment. However, Calico has me converted and it's a joy to knit with.

......
DD1 came over the other weekend and we took the dogs a walk along one of her favourite routes. It's a wetland nature park, located on the outskirts of Cardiff and makes wonderful use of the old canals sited there.


Don't let these 3 'innocents' fool you! They're deliberately trying to look like it wasn't them, barking and howling, when DD1 and I briefly popped into a hyde to watch the wildlife.
The one below in yet another Blethers classic photography moment! I was really excited to spy a heron in one of the wetland areas, and tried to save the moment for posterity. There is a heron in there....
If you've got 20/20 vision, you might spot it!

Labels: , , , , ,

13 Comments:

Blogger Linz Knits Now said...

That's a beautiful hat...and you're not late, you're prepared lol.
I really love the photos of your walk, simply gorgeous but i'm afraid the Heron is elusive to my eye ;)

"I did confess it might have been me responsible for the blocked filter that MrB adeptly cleaned later, muttering "bloomin' dogs"!

This just had me stitches btw :D

Sunday, May 24, 2009  
Blogger blog-blethers said...

lol I love your logic, Linz! I should maybe rename it as my first autumn knit;o)

If you enlarge the pic, it sort of hits you like a heron between the eyes. Otherwise, it's a mission impossible.

Those poor mutts get blamed for so much;o)

Sunday, May 24, 2009  
Blogger Silvia said...

The hat is beautifull and even in the photo it looks soft and cuddley!!!
i did find the heron....i admid to having clicked the photo to see the larger version.but I did see the bird

Monday, May 25, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those pictures are beautiful! I just love this time of year, so much pretty scenery. The hat is lovely as well. I second Linz, you're just being well-prepared!

Tuesday, May 26, 2009  
Blogger Sarah said...

Oh I am laughing about the dryer - beautiful hat though! As for your photo - I enlarged it and spotted it - I understand the troubles of photography all too well ;o)

Tuesday, May 26, 2009  
Blogger Fiona Reynolds said...

Lovely hat and the Blethers' Pooches are a right set of charmers. They're gorgeous.

Tuesday, May 26, 2009  
Blogger Daisy said...

Wow sounds like a lovely new yarn shop.

Tuesday, May 26, 2009  
Blogger Linda said...

What a cute hat and wasn't the weather glorious!

Thursday, May 28, 2009  
Blogger kathy b said...

Hat is really pretty, the softness of a yarn rarely comes through on the internet, but yours has.

The three little muskateers are so innocent looking! did they go into the pond? Ponds are so stinky....but they are all the same size basically and I love that about the little pack!

Monday, June 01, 2009  
Blogger kathy b said...

Hat is really pretty, the softness of a yarn rarely comes through on the internet, but yours has.

The three little muskateers are so innocent looking! did they go into the pond? Ponds are so stinky....but they are all the same size basically and I love that about the little pack!

Monday, June 01, 2009  
Blogger kathy b said...

Hat is really pretty, the softness of a yarn rarely comes through on the internet, but yours has.

The three little muskateers are so innocent looking! did they go into the pond? Ponds are so stinky....but they are all the same size basically and I love that about the little pack!

Monday, June 01, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love that Tam! Great photos too. shame we didn't get to meet up. Hope all is well xxx

Tuesday, June 02, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm in Cardiff as well, and yet I'm not sure I recognise the wetlands place you went to - where is it? Looks like somewhere we'd love to explore.

Friday, August 07, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home