Saturday 25 April 2009

Gardening, not garter stitch!

There's still no knitting of mention going on. However, DD1 and I had a wonderful time last Sunday at the Royal Horticultural Society show in Cardiff. The weather was glorious, and matched by the beautiful array of plants we saw.
Knight Rider tulip
We were able to buy all 19 stems at the end of the day for a bargain price of £5 and split them between us.


Stunning Clematis in full bloom. I'd recently bought the dainty purple one on the top right of the picture. It's still to be planted in the back garden and am really looking forward to seeing it become an established climber.
The bronze and golden colours used in the displays below were stunning. The flowering plant is a Hellebore (I think!).

There was a beautiful display of bonsai trees. The Japanese Maple (below) was planted in 1955 and still less than 2 foot tall. The colours and form of the tree was stunningly pretty.

Spring blooms...


And, of course, the obligatory Welsh rugby player, scoring a try - completely planted out!
..............
Tomorrow promises to be another wonderful day out. I'm off to Wonderwool Wales, a yarn and fibre festival held annually at Builith Wells, Powys. It's a 2 hour drive each way from Cardiff and the girls' eyes are bulging at the prospect of being ready to head off at 9.30am on a Sunday morning! I think the only reason they've agreed to come is they've caught wind of cider and food being available on the same site! Photos will follow!
...............
DD1 sent me a somewhat bizarre text this week whilst I was at work, asking if she could come home for the night to sleep over. No, she was not missing her mum drastically - nor had a fall out with her boyfriend. His pet snake had escaped and she was not returning to the flat till it was re-captured!

Labels: , ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Fiona Reynolds said...

Beautiful photos! Your comment about our partners' parallel wardrobes really made me laugh. :-)

Sunday, April 26, 2009  
Blogger blog-blethers said...

Well, laughing at them is probably healthier for all than wanting to kill them for being messy so-and-so's;o)

Sunday, April 26, 2009  
Blogger Sarah said...

Oh what a lovely day - and I hope Wonderwool Wales proved as much fun too :o)

Monday, April 27, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh what beautiful flowers! I love seeing all the colors and plants this time of year.

Tuesday, April 28, 2009  
Blogger Linda said...

Love the Bonsai!

Wednesday, April 29, 2009  
Blogger kathryn said...

What beautiful photos! And yes, definitely a hellebore - one of my favourite of all plants.

Friday, May 01, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

next year, can I hitch a lift from you to Wonderwool? I had to work this year, but I've told my husband I HAVE to go next year!

wonderful flower pictures. Looking forward to seeing yourt wonderwool goodies.

Saturday, May 02, 2009  
Blogger blog-blethers said...

If only my garden looked like the displays at the show. Maybe one day!

And, Angie, I'd love to! We can sort out all the arrangements nearer the time ... but that'd be great:o)

Sunday, May 03, 2009  
Blogger kathy b said...

The clematis is absolutely amazing. Great type. I have never seen that type in the United States. Great pictures on a lovley post.

Wednesday, May 13, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home