Sunday 19 October 2008

Vini, vidi, vici ...

... sewn up and about to be blocked!! My battle with the February Baby Sweater on Two Needles, by Elizabeth Zimmerman, is over:o) Conquered is obviously too strong a term. 'Survived' may be closer to the mark.

February Baby Sweater on Two Needles

Many knitters love this pattern. With apologies to Zimmerman fans, I didn't find this an enjoyable knit at all ... and gritted my teeth to get it off the needles. I struggled with Elizabeth Zimmerman's style of instruction and pattern detailing. If anyone undertaking this pattern in the future finds themselves struggling (cursing, swearing and generally looking boogley eyed with the whole blooming process), there are some helpful guidelines and information here on Ravelry. I genuinely don't want to see anyone else struggle with a project - but the knowledge that I'm not the only Zimmerman-dozyhead did keep me going!

I hope to block the cardigan tonight and then it's off to little Grace ... and if anyone fancies a copy of The Knitters Almanac, please let me know;o)

On the other hand, Norah Gaughan's patterns suit my need for detailed instruction much better - and look what arrived in the post this week, Norah Gaughan Collection 3. The booklet contains a number of beautiful patterns - including Loppem, Eastlake Sweater and East Scarf.

I'm gasping to cast on either of those sweaters, but WILL finish one of the half-done creations lying around the house first:o(

ooOoo
Good news on the health front too this week. I was seen by the Chest Consultant and the results of the recent Sleep tests show I don't have Apnea. However, the results do confirm I SNORE!! Like that news to anyone in the Blethers household;o) The Consultant reckons the excessive fatigue results from a combination of factors - (1) having an inflammatory disease and (2) a side effect of the Methotrexate. That explanation seems to fit for me ... the higher the Methotrexate dose has gone, the more knackered I've felt! He's writing to the Rheumatologist to ask that the Methotrexate be stopped and that the new anti-tnf's are considered.... Roll on my appointment in December!
00Ooo
Just wanted to end with a picture that represents an issue most parents will recognise - sibling rivalry.
Islay's sister came over to play! They are both arguing over Islay's favourite toy ... and looks like her sister's winning! Look at those teeth!

Labels: , , , , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

Well done for making it to the end! I'm yet to brave one of these pithily instructed projects as I'm fond of my full patterns too!

Where did you get your NG from? I had to get a friend to bring Vol1 back from Canada as I couldn't find anywhere in the UK that sold it.

Hope those docs get you sorted out soon.

Monday, October 20, 2008  
Blogger blog-blethers said...

Sarah, Loops online store has Collections 1, 2 and 3:o)

Monday, October 20, 2008  
Blogger Joanna said...

Grrrr, well I've decided that much as I love Norah Gaughin, that I just like the inspiring pictures, and interesting construction, I don't have enough hours in the day to knit em all! Love the Fab baby sweater, sure it was worth it in the end!

Monday, October 20, 2008  
Blogger Kitty said...

The baby coat is cute, even if it was a nightmare to knit.

Hope the new consultant manages to sort things out for you - it must be horrid :-(

x

Tuesday, October 21, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well done you getting to the end of the cardigan! And glad to hear you don't have sleep apnea too, hope they do get you sorted out though.
Can't wait to see some of those Norah patterns. Take care x

Wednesday, October 22, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good job on finishing a lovely sweater. I've never knit an Elizabeth Zimmerman myself, so I have no experience with her brand of instructions. I may have to attempt it at some point just for the challenge.

Yea for the health news! It's always good to here something upbeat on the health front - too often it's something negative.

Good luck with finishing something before starting anything new. Always a challenge, that...

Thursday, October 23, 2008  
Blogger Sarah said...

Thanks for the info about the books :o)

Thursday, October 23, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was worth the perseverance! It's very cute. I've yet to venture into EZ territory, but have bought The Opinionated Knitter and have the BSJ planned, just for the sheer heck of the challenge! Must be deranged :-$

Saturday, October 25, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the little cardigan, it looks very good! I've just stumbled across your blog from Angel Yarns.

Wednesday, October 29, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the lovely comments. I have your email now, will send you a description of how to make the little booties. I'd scan it in, but it's in a German magazine, so you might not be able to read it :-). I'll send it through within the next few days and might also take some photo's of a pair in progress, as that could be useful!

Wednesday, November 05, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home