Sunday 9 March 2008

Birthday boy footwear...

DD1's boyfriend has been hankering for a pair of socks for ages. With his birthday soon approaching, I decided to cast on the first pair of socks I've done since LAST March! I can't believe it's been so long! The yarn is from the newest Rainforest range - Rainforest 3, Veronica die Wilde.

I've used the basic sock pattern from Sensational Knitted Socks (Charlene Schurch) but with the following modifications:
  • changed the plain heel to k1, Slip1 (Is that the Eye of Partridge heel or am I making that name up??)
  • lost the garter stitch edging at the edge of the heel. I've yet to make a tidy job of that whilst picking up the stitches again:(
One done and the 2nd is cast on. Better get a crack on if he's to have a pair for his birthday!

Labels: , , ,

12 Comments:

Blogger kathy b said...

very neat colorway. boy colors for certain. you won't have SSS, im sure. You are already so far into this gift.

Sunday, March 09, 2008  
Blogger blog-blethers said...

lol It's amazing how having a specific finsih date in mind helps guard against SSS. I have been prone to that condition in the past;)

Sunday, March 09, 2008  
Blogger dreamcatcher said...

Super socks! I may be picking your brains when I attempt my first pair!

Thanks ever so much for your comment last night too, that cheered me up no end when I really needed it :-)

Monday, March 10, 2008  
Blogger Amanda said...

What a nice birthday gift! It's been a while since I've made socks myself...may be time to rectify that.

Monday, March 10, 2008  
Blogger Ambermoggie, a fragrant soul said...

lovely sock:)

Monday, March 10, 2008  
Blogger Just Me said...

Very nice sock;well done since it's a year since you last knit one. Must be like learning to ride a bicycle..you never forget! I use the same basic pattern too. It does the job well ;)

You've nearly knit the Eye of Partridge. The pattern is
1st row k1, sl1
2nd row sl1, k1
repeat as necessary.

Monday, March 10, 2008  
Blogger Ang said...

Wonderful socks, definitely a boy colour.
Good luck for getting them finished, I'm useless with socks, well the second one.

Tuesday, March 11, 2008  
Blogger Probably Jane said...

Very handsome socks!

Tuesday, March 11, 2008  
Blogger Sarah said...

Great looking manly sock

I think you have a slipped stitch heel flap - unless you are varying the stitch you slip on alternate rows which is what I would call an eye of partridge heel - there are instructions in SKS as what I have written makes little sense!!

Thursday, March 13, 2008  
Blogger Fiona Reynolds said...

I made a pair of those for the BF - he loves them. Am doomed now - he wants more.

Saturday, March 15, 2008  
Blogger Joy said...

What lovely socks :-)

You might just have spurred me on here - I haven't knitted a sock since March either!!!!!

Monday, March 17, 2008  
Blogger murdo said...

Love the colourway! Great bloke-socks :)

Monday, March 24, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home