Sunday 13 January 2008

Colour therapy...

Phew ... mid January already! Like many others in blogland have already said, I find much of January a flat, dismal driech month. Those endless days of steely grey, heavy skies ... the cold ... rain ... all seem to impact my mood a little and there's not much pleasure in reading about it here is there? However, there is one brighter, happier note always in this drab month too - DD1's birthday. Tomorrow my young lady turns 19 years old and has achieved much over the past year - she completed her A levels and gained a place at University, studying for a BA in Business Excellence; she passed her driving test and bought herself her first car; she's continued to work part-time and has recently announced her engagement. I thought that I'd managed to pass on my aversion to the marital status - but MsB is obviously less cynical in the romantic front than me;) Her presents are to be wrapped tonight and, one year, the poor lamb will receive gifts that are NOT wrapped in Christmas paper - but the tradition will continue for this year at least!

Whilst some folk have signed up to Project Spectrum to inject colour into these dreary months, I didn't feel able to commit to such a long term project. Instead, I have developed my own version of this colour/life enhancing strategy ... I've cast on another project! I'm knitting a short sleeved cardigan from a Noro pattern book I'd not come across before, Noro Designer Mini Knits by Jenny Wilson.


The pattern is really straightforward and is knitted in Noro Silk Garden. I've used a couple of other Noro yarns (Kureyon, Blossom and Iro) before and have found Silk Garden much softer on the fingers than others used in the past. The stitches are to be picked up around the neck and the seams sewn and that'll be my first big FO for 2008!



This colour filled inspiration came about in my LYS, Yarns N Yarns (Penarth, Cardiff). Having popped in there to buy a set of dpn's to cast on Jitterbug socks, I succumbed and bought the Noro yarn and pattern book. 2 pairs of bamboo straight pins also fell into the basket and THESE! I love these buttons and have no clue yet what project will eventually be knitted around them .... but till then I'm just going to enjoy looking at and loving them!


DD1 has 'encouraged' (read 'pestered', 'nagged' or 'cajoled') me to return to the dreaded Blue Mile project - the pseudonym for the Sirdar Sweater Dress pattern she wants finished. There has been progress on this front too and it's to be my 2nd FO for this year. The back and most of the front are completed...


I'm not sure where I went wrong with the girls .... they both love knitted boredom, or to subject me to those type of projects:( DD2, the Princess of Chavsville, never asks for any knitted items usually - but had requested that mum produce a white, garter stitch scarf. Here it is!

The yarn is a chenille-type baby yarn purchased from Hobbycraft, Newport and I used 3 out of the 4 purchased balls to get the length MissB desired. The same yarn was purchased in a baby pink shade to make a similar version for her elder sister ... and it'll be cast on the next time I need a knitting lobotomy:)

Labels: , , ,

19 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

Love that Noro colourway and good luck with Blue Mile (great name!)

Now less of the scathing comments about garter stitch scarfs - I've just cast one on out of choice! Though to be fair it is for those moments when the brain has run out of energy!

Sunday, January 13, 2008  
Blogger blog-blethers said...

lol Thank you, Sarah ... am not sure if Mr Sirdar would agree to my labelling the pattern in such a way though;) Good luck with your scarf!

Sunday, January 13, 2008  
Blogger Ambermoggie, a fragrant soul said...

Wow you have been busy:) I love the Noro top and I think I may have to get the book there seem to be some good items in it?

Sunday, January 13, 2008  
Blogger blog-blethers said...

Thank you, ambermoggie! I'd not seen this book before ... its all small projects and includes scarves, hats, hot water bottle cover, gloves and socks too

Sunday, January 13, 2008  
Blogger Ang said...

The Blue Mile....sounds so inspiring!
Good luck with it, and your Noro (that is one yarn I just can't knit with, brings on a nasty rash - but it's so pretty) cardigan, which is looking fab!

The scarf looks sweet too. Hope DD1 has a good day.

Sunday, January 13, 2008  
Blogger Joanna said...

I love that little Noro book, it was in my Lys although I havent succumbed to it yet. I'm a big fan of some of that boredom knitting, sometimes I just need some stocking stitch in my hands to feel 'normal'and keep me out of trouble!

Sunday, January 13, 2008  
Blogger MandellaUK said...

The Silk Garden is lovely. I long for the day, however, when the feel of Noro yarn will live up to its appearance. Don't knock the garter stitch - sometimes we need stitch after mindless stitch, and at least you can usually manage to talk to someone at the same time.

Sunday, January 13, 2008  
Blogger RoxyK said...

Ooh the Noro book looks very interesting, I've not come across that one before ;)

Might be just what I need for a bit of motivation.

Sunday, January 13, 2008  
Blogger blog-blethers said...

Boredom knitting, Jo ... fancy doing a few rows of the Blue Mile for me;)??

Know too what you mean about Noro looking better than it feels, Mandella. It's definately one for a t-shirt below!

Roxy, there are times for small projects to boost our knitting mojo, isn't there? Hope yours returns very soon

Sunday, January 13, 2008  
Blogger Joy said...

I've not seen the pattern book before but I've found it by googling and there are some nice patterns aren't there.

I am knitting with Kochoran at present, I have some Silk Garden but have yet to try it.

Monday, January 14, 2008  
Blogger Linda said...

The Noro looks great and the sweater for your daughter will be good...I like stocking stitch!

Monday, January 14, 2008  
Blogger Craftydramaqueen said...

Have you tried a slouchy beret style hat? I'm sure you don't look like a boiled egg anyway!!!!

Monday, January 14, 2008  
Blogger Fiona Reynolds said...

Damn these people and their boring knit requests! ;-) The BF only likes plain, one colour jumpers.

Monday, January 14, 2008  
Blogger Skein Queen said...

I like a bit of Noro (the yarn, not the virus) and that book looks tempting.

Happy New Year to you.

Monday, January 14, 2008  
Blogger Amanda said...

color is definitely needed this time of year! i actually have a project in spring greens i'm saving for when i can't stand the greys anymore.

Tuesday, January 15, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a lovely button! I used to have a great stash of buttons that got lost when I moved. :(

Project Spectrum is a nice idea, but I'm not signing up again since I didn't have the staying power last year.

Thursday, January 17, 2008  
Blogger Piglottie said...

I love the buttons! They are stunning - a work of art.

I was debating about Project Spectrum too, but like you, didn't want to commit to something for so long.

Friday, January 18, 2008  
Blogger kathy b said...

those Noro colorwasy are just addicting to me. I love your choice. THank you for reading irisheyes.
You have a lovely blog!

Sunday, January 20, 2008  
Blogger belaybunny said...

The noro is looking lovely, as are your other knits. You have been busy :)

Wednesday, January 23, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home