Sunday 18 November 2007

Wash rags and bags

What a grotty day we've had in South Wales today - with torrential rain, howling winds and semi-darkness all day! However, there's always a silver lining - I managed to drag DD2 to Hobbycraft this afternoon and she tholed the experience the best she could:) Albeit that included skulking around the end of all the display aisles in case her friends saw her in the wool lane! No number of reassurances that, should she be seen, it was because her friends' mothers had dragged them to Hobbycraft too and that they too were sharing her social humiliation:)

Bless her, DD2 seems to feature less in the blog than her elder sister - but for no other reason other than she mostly refuses to be seen in 'mum knits'. She has been badgering over the last few weeks and I have done my best to ignore her pleas for her desired project... a white, garter stitch scarf in some form of chunky wool. I know, fellow knitters, my heart sank too! But I'm casting on tonight and will thole the knitting experience in the hope that it converts her to more exciting projects in the future:(

And of more pleasurable projects:

The West Side Raglan has been worn to work and is the warmest, cosiest jumper I have. To be honest though, I reckon it'll require wearing with a t-shirt underneath as the Manos is a little itchy when directly on the skin ... or at least my delicate, uber-sensitive skin (C'mon part of me has to be delicate!!).

I've felted the Ringo Bag, pattern by Sue Morgan. This was a lovely straightforward knit, using Noro Kureyon. I had been thinking of it being one of my PFI gifts but am not entirely happy with it. The felting process went smoothly enough and has softened up the colours a little. I'm dithering over the size of the handles now that the bag has been felted - I feel they look too large now:( Here it is in it's pre-felted stated and I'll post the post-felted look once the weather clears enough to allow photography.


However, if I'm not entirely happy with it, I'd be uncomfortable gifting it and have already come up with another project instead. And I now have a new project bag with BIG handles!

I've been busy too making wash cloths. I'm using the Fiber Trends Bathing Beauties patterns - Leaf Lace and Ribbon Lace patterns. I'll be seeing these patterns in my sleep as I'm making 16 of them for Christmas gifts for my workmates, along with hand made soaps I've purchased from Etsy sellers.

Labels: , , , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Ang said...

Oh poor DD2!

I love the colours in that bag, looking forward to seeing that felted.

Monday, November 19, 2007  
Blogger Skein Queen said...

I like a bit of Hobbycraft myself. The Ringo bag looks lovely - can't wait to see it felted.

Thanks for link to Scottish Vernacular Dictionary - love the definition for At's pish!

Richt, aff tay the gym as ma love handles have got affy shoogly - It's cos ah'm an auldjin! They fair scunner me tho.

Monday, November 19, 2007  
Blogger Amanda said...

ooh...that scarf sounds a bit much. good luck with it and with all those wash rags!

Monday, November 19, 2007  
Blogger Joanna said...

That scarf should knit up quick in chunk, the bag is great colours, what shade of Kureyon was it? I have a Ringo in my fo's on Ravelry!

Tuesday, November 20, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love how your Ringo bag's looking. Looking forward to seeing it felted up.

The garter stitch scarf though.... I sympathise as I'm currently making a pair of enormous socks in plain stocking stitch. **Yawn**

Tuesday, November 20, 2007  
Blogger Piglottie said...

I love the Ringo bag, and its one of the first things I made. I remember putting mine through the wash twice though, as I wanted it really well felted. I love the look though, and especially the handles :)

Thursday, November 22, 2007  
Blogger Sarah said...

At least the scarf should be a quick project :)

Looking forward to seeing the bag felted.

Thursday, November 22, 2007  
Blogger blog-blethers said...

Thank you all for your lovely comments:o)

Doesn't the weather always seem to conspire against you when you want to take pictures in natural light. It's been bucketing it down all week!

Jo, the yarn is Kureyon 173. It looked more pinky/blue in the photo's in the yarnstore.

Friday, November 23, 2007  
Blogger Jo028 said...

Love the new bag. I'd be tempted to leave white wool & chunky pins od DD2's bed & get her to make it herself LOL!

Sunday, November 25, 2007  
Blogger blog-blethers said...

Bless her, Jo ... I have tried to teach DD2. She was really keen to knit a blanket for the dogs ... but she's dyslexic, dyspraxic and has auditory processing issues (she misinterprets what she hears as the message travels along the auditory nerves). Her blanket looked a little like a meandering, huge, fish net stocking in a bright pink shade! I love it to bits and am keeping it for me as it makes me giggle and go mushy whenever I look at it:) So, mum's ploughing her way through endless, mindless miles of white garter stitch;)

Sunday, November 25, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home