Sunday 30 September 2007

Wooly warmth

There's a definite nip in the air which has seen me scurrying for woolly warmth! Despite my 'extra padding', I feel the cold terribly and become an even more miserable, cantankerous old biddie when chilled;) The heating is switched on in the evening and I am spending cosy nights browsing through patterns to keep the cold at bay. The West End Raglan is destined to hit the needles next. The pattern was purchased from Yarns by Design ( http://www.yarnsbydesign.com) and I really recommend them. The pattern wung its way across the Atlantic very quickly and the seller was really helpful. One other plus point for this particular pattern is that it comes with directions for both worsted and chunky yarn - so, plenty of scope to sub a variety of yarns.


I'm planning to use this - Manos del Uruguay (Shade 8891). Isn't it just glorious?? I love the muted autumnal shades and this worsted yarn is so soft to the touch! I bought it on eBay from alpacaandcats, Peak Wool store, who's an absolute gem. I'm hoping that she doesn't mind me plagiarising her photo!

DD1 has had an eventful week - she started her university course on Monday and is looking somewhat shell shocked by the experience! She also re-sat her driving test on Friday and passed!! Bless her - you have to give it to her, she IS a trier!! Brief conversation took place on Friday evening as follows:
DD1: "Don't suppose there's any chance I can borrow your car, mum?"
Me: "Nope!"
I'm not really being a horrid mum (though the kids might debate that!). We had priced the insurance on mine and MrB and I nearly required hospital treatment when we were given the quotes! So, it'll be off to the auctions soonish to find a Group 1 insurance rated wee run-around for Madam ... and be warned, she's hitting the roads of South Wales shortly!

Her stressful week was heightened when she had a flash of insight about our similarities ... "Mum, I'm getting just like you. I'd rather be warm than trendy". Please take a few seconds to console this mother with a battered ego and grossly reduced self image;) I'd naively reckoned that, since I'd lost a bit of weight recently, I was looking relatively nifty for a 44 year old! Heck, I'd even bought a skirt from Miss Selfridges (It does have an elastic waist but I'm ignoring that fact for now!) and a jumper from Top Shop! Obviously my daughter reckons differently (lol)! She has realised that there is a weather anomaly on the University of Glamorgan site though. No matter how clement the weather conditions are anywhere else in the UK, her Uni sits on a polar zone - and its either perishing/windblown or hammering it down with rain! Her list of required knits has grown and I'd better be faster on the needle than I have been! She's taken to wearing homemade socks on a daily basis....

These were completed recently and worn the other day. There is a moral to the 2 photos below. The first being - don't let other half loose to buy bedding! He'll come back with kinky satin stuff that (1) is not cosy; (2) means you constantly have to soften the skin on your feet or the sheets snag (too much information??) and (3) should come with a Government Health Warning! You jump in to bed wearing a satin nightie and shoot straight across the bed like a human cannonball, landing in a very unglamorous heap on the floor!! What IS wrong with flannelette, MrB????


The other lesson learned was that I need to take photography lessons! I tried to go all arty here and its not quite Lord Lichfield quality, is it? The yarn is Regia Surfer. It has a lovely sheen and is softer to the touch than Opal yarn.Finishing off with my 'mutton dressed as lamb' theme here, I've succumbed to another current trend and bought a pair of Crocs! These little beauties were purchased on eBay (nope, I don't have eBay shares ... but maybe I should!) for a bargainous £18.99. Shoes can be a real nightmare for me - various joints on my feet flare up with the arthritis, so what's comfy one day can feel like walking on glass the following day... I'm not sure if I'm a Croc convert yet, but they'll be just dandy for our forthcoming SUMMER holiday (in October!!). However, the Crocs have incited powerful feelings in the Blethers household - everyone else hates them!
I came home from work the other night to find MrB trying to convince the pup that my Crocs were, in fact, a chewie bone and encouraging her to gnaw them!! It's just as well we're not married, I'd have divorced him then;)

PS. Can anyone help me please? I can't seem to get my pics to be 'clickable' to enlarge over the past couple of weeks ... and haven't a clue where I'm going wrong. Any suggestions about how I remedy this??? Thank you!

Labels: , , , ,

20 Comments:

Blogger Linda said...

The sweater pattern looks nice and will be cosy in the Manos yarn. Your post made me laugh! Typical man purchase those sheets! The socks are great though. I don't know why photos come out clickable or not. Mine tend to most of the time but not always, sorry, can't help with that one.

Sunday, September 30, 2007  
Blogger Auntie Noo said...

I would HATE satin sheets - I need to be warm and cozy! Flanelette every time!!!!!! - The jumper is lovely - is the body shaped? Might add that to my ravelry queue!!!!

Sunday, September 30, 2007  
Blogger dreamcatcher said...

Love the Manos yarn, looks like a cosy sweater pattern too! Much needed as autumn has definitely arrived.

Oh goodness men have no clue about sheets do they :-D I'd find satin cold for a start, let alone uncomfortable, polycotton for me!

Not sure what is wrong with the pics, I know clarabelle had/has the same problem. All I could suggest would be copying any custom bits you've added to your template and saving them off, and changing template in Blogger. It has been acting weirdly recently and it might just need a "reload" so to speak. See if the pics work then; if so try going back to this template and see if it has fixed itself.

Sunday, September 30, 2007  
Blogger blog-blethers said...

lol Men, eh??? There are weekly negotiations here about which type of beddding is going on that wouldn't be out of place at War talks! My rationale is whoever changes the bed, selects;) Guess who moves like a speeding bullet to re-make the blessed thing! Flannelette Woman of The World Unite!

I've had a quick check of the pattern,Auntie Noo, and there's no shaping of the body. It wouldn't be impossible to add shaping (so says the brave knitter here that follows a pattern almost blindly!)???

Thanks, dreamcatcher, for the tips about the pics. It's strange as they appear to be clickable until I add any text! I will try to re-set the template though. I may be gone for some time as I'm a bit of a technophobe when it comes to twiddling with formats;)!!

Sunday, September 30, 2007  
Blogger Liz said...

Ha ha! Your satin sheets made me laugh! I never thought about practicalities like making sure your feet are always smooth!!! I'll stick to common old cotton I think!!

I love crocs as well. My family also think I'm cracked. Maybe it's an age thing. I'm trying to go backwards as fast as I seem to be going forwards!!

Sunday, September 30, 2007  
Blogger Probably Jane said...

I love the way you write - I laughted out loud several times, especially at the human cannonball. Last time I shot across a room was when 'someone' broke my loo seat and sneakily put it back into place thus turning it into a giant frisbee with me riding on it - now that is definitely too much information!

Sunday, September 30, 2007  
Blogger Jo028 said...

Your post really made me laugh. I'm a clone of you I think, I had my coat & scarf on all day indoors one of the days last week. I'm hoping October will see the return of the heating! At least Mr B didn't pick black satin LOL, but far too cold for me!

Sunday, September 30, 2007  
Blogger Fiona Reynolds said...

Glad your daughter is discovering the joy of handmade socks and other knits... though that creates the dilemma of whether to discourage loved ones from being so enthusiastic!

Sunday, September 30, 2007  
Blogger Sarah said...

Knitting up a storm has got to be the best way to keep warm, both for in the lapness during making and for the finished product.

Hope you continue to win in the battle of the satin sheets :)

Sunday, September 30, 2007  
Blogger Piglottie said...

I love the pattern, and the Manos is gorgeous (I bought some from the same seller). I did giggle at the satin sheets, but urgghhh! Not snuggly at all.

Sunday, September 30, 2007  
Blogger Amanda said...

that looks like quite a nice pattern - and manos is always so pretty. autumnal colors are perfect right now.

and there must be some rule about universities and weather - where i went to school, i swear was the windiest place in the state!

Sunday, September 30, 2007  
Blogger Joy said...

I LOVE Oat Couture patterns - I have *ahem* one or two myself, as you do,........... ;)

Well done to your DD passing her driving test. Insurance is scary isn't it, but gets better with thime, my DD's is now pretty much the same as mine.

Great socks too.

I can click your pictures and make them bigger, have you soreted it now?

Monday, October 01, 2007  
Blogger Skein Queen said...

OMG, there surely can't be any other Flannelette fans out there? I thought I was the only one! Still giggling about the shooting across the bed and landing in an unglamorous heap! V. funny.

Monday, October 01, 2007  
Blogger blog-blethers said...

lol I'm so glad that my aversion to satin bedding is shared by so many others:) Jo, he did try too go THERE, but my scathing look was obviously blacker than the bedding! I'm desperately hanging on to my delusion that his taste in women is better than bedding!!

Jane, what a fantastic meme we may have stumbled across here;) "I've been cannonballed by ...."!!

I've had a further wee peek at Oat Couture patterns and there's a really lovely cabled tank top, a couple of cardi's and t-shirts patterns that may slip into my basket too,Aknita;)

Thank you all for the lovely comments about the Manos - it's beautiful yarn and I can't wait to cast on. And it's worsted and WARM! (I'm still frozen!).

FLANNELETTE LOVERS OF THE WORLD UNITE;) And let's convince MrB that satin is naff and hazardous to your health!

Monday, October 01, 2007  
Blogger Linda said...

Thank you for the blog comment, here is the seller where I got the pink/black sock yarn called Not Just Goth! I tried to email you but it didn't work!
http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=23634

Tuesday, October 02, 2007  
Blogger Hellbelle said...

Lovely yarn - it looks just perfect for a snuggly jumper.

I have very cold feet and wear socks in bed even in the middle of summer, but even then I wouldn't fancy shiny sheets. Good old cotton for me, every time :)

Tuesday, October 02, 2007  
Blogger Ang said...

Well done to your daughter for passing her test, remind me to stay away from Cardiff for a while! Only joking!

That sweater looks cozy, as do them socks!

Can't help with the pics I'm afraid, but I'll have a look into it.

Thursday, October 04, 2007  
Blogger Ang said...

just a thought, have you tried deleting your browsers cache? Sometimes when things don't work I try that.

Thursday, October 04, 2007  
Blogger Artis-Anne said...

Great pattern :) and I too have succumbed to Lorraine's Manos LOL but not sure what to use it for as yet !!
Th satin sheets made me laugh , defo NOT for me

Friday, October 05, 2007  
Blogger murdo said...

Avoid satin...I have it on good authority that you can slip on it whilst jumping from top of wardrobes.......

Saturday, October 06, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home