Saturday 25 August 2007

Snuggle in - we're schmoozing!

I've been Schmoozed!
"Schmoozing is the natural ability “to converse casually, especially in order to gain an advantage or make a social connection. Good schmoozers effortlessly weave their way in and out of the blogsphere, leaving friendly trails and smiles, happily making new friends along the way. They don’t limit their visits to only the rich and successful, but spend some time to say hello to new blogs as well. They are the ones who engage others in meaningful conversations, refusing to let it end at a mere hello - all the while fostering a sense of closeness and friendship".


I'm so touched to have been nominated for this award by the lovely Riggwelter(http://jazzycrafts.blogspot.com). Pop over to her blog and you'll quickly see why I feel that she's in a different class to me. I view myself as a 'maker' ... I can follow a pattern and produce reasonable results. However, Riggwelter is a crafter/artist. I love the scope of all the crafts she undertakes and how she 'sees' potential, whilst I am still stumbling around searching for the blessed pattern!

In turn, I'd like to nominate the following blogs:
  1. Notwithstanding Nicola (http://notnicola.blogspot.com). Nicola, like me, returned to the knitting fold whilst studying (or in my case, avoiding studying!) for her Masters. Her socks are to die for!
  2. All fingers and thumbs (http://allfingersandthumbs.blogspot.com). I've just newly discovered Sarah's blog but will be visiting often to catch up on our shared love of socks and Norah Gaughan's patterns. And just check out Sarah's plum cake!!!
  3. Skein Queen (http://skeinqueen.blogspot.com). A fellow ex-pat Scot ... which is grounds enough for nominating;) But have a look at the gorgeous yarns, SQ makes in her Etsy shop! Just stunning!
All of this has really made me reflect on the importance of the camaraderie of the knitting and blogging communities and just how much I value having you in my life - both in terms of inspiration and support. I've mentioned my health issues in a number of other posts and feel that these have made my contact with fellow bloggers even more significant. As an OT, I spend a lot of time with clients looking at the well-being benefits of meaningful activity, social supports and a healthy work-life balance... The chronic fatigue that is a part of my conditions impacts my own ability to do those things for myself - most nights I come home from work and then am in the land of nod within 15 minutes of walking through the door (NOT a helpful strategy in terms of maintaining a social life!). My contact here with warm, creative folk who share similar interests ... who inspire me and help keep me motivated and focused on things other than joint pain and tiredness (here, I'm selling myself well in the 'cyber mate' department, amn't I???) .... helps keep me sane (even if I do 'chat' with you in the middle of the night!).

9 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

Thank you! So kind - I know just what you mean about these virtual friendships - they really add another dimension :0)

Monday, August 27, 2007  
Blogger blog-blethers said...

No problem, Sarah ... I look forward to seeing how the Esther's come along and can so see why you are smitten with the pattern! Have you cast on any of the projects from the Norah Gaughan book?? I've not long finished Turbulence and have now got hold of some of the SoftTwist to do another - absolutely stunning yarn and will create quite a different sweater to the one I've just done. Ogee remains though my main Norah temptation at the moment and an online store are very kindly seeing if they can get in some Filatura di Crossa Zara for me

Monday, August 27, 2007  
Blogger Fiona Reynolds said...

I agree with you completely on the 'virtual' friendships. I started knitting (again) just over a year ago, and my hobby has developed me a netweork of new friends too.

Tuesday, August 28, 2007  
Blogger Ang said...

Ha ha! I first read this at 3am (when the twins got up, wide awake) I didn't post then because my other son got up too. What I mean is, you bloggers keep me sane on those long nights!

And you so do deserve this award!

and thank you for your kind words x

Tuesday, August 28, 2007  
Blogger Piglottie said...

Congratulations on a thoroughly well deserved award. And I agree, I find the online knitting community enriches my life more than I ever thought possible.

Tuesday, August 28, 2007  
Blogger blog-blethers said...

Riggwelter, aren't we a bunch of unwilling insomniacs! Hope the wee one's are more settled tonight and you get some peaceful sleep. Sarah, Piglottie and Fiona ... I absolutely agree with you about the depth and warmth of cyber friendships... I feel blessed to have my life enriched and knitting inspired:) by having 'met' you all. However, that also makes you and the wonderful online knitting community partly responsible for a 'to do' list I'll never complete in this lifetime;)

Thursday, August 30, 2007  
Blogger Soo said...

I've learned and been exposed to more knitting-wise since I discovered blogs and blogging in April -- than I did in the many many many (eek) years before!

Thursday, August 30, 2007  
Blogger Nicola said...

Aw shucks Blethers - you've made me blush! ;) Thank you so much for thinking of me - your comments over at my blog always mean a lot to me :)

Saturday, September 01, 2007  
Blogger Skein Queen said...

Thanks so much for the nomination, Blethers. I am highly honoured and it was a nice surprise to come back to after holiday. You are very kind.

Wednesday, September 05, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home