Thursday 30 August 2007

A pair of wee beauties

Just wanted to share this wee lovely with you!

Gardening is another passion in the Blethers household - though at times, this year, it would be hard to tell that from the state of my somewhat 'freeform' back garden! Instead, I've settled for gardening of the indoor variety!

I love orchids! I love the exuberance and vibrancy of the colour ... their deceptive fragility (they need to be pretty robust to survive here!) ... the variety of the flowers ... their sophistication ...

A couple of summers ago, we went on holiday to Devon with the entire brood (DD1, DD2, SS1, SS2 and SS3. We should, perhaps, have released an early warning so that the local population could have prepared for our arrival and vastly increased decibel levels!). We found an absolutely fantastic orchid nursery, Burnham Nursery (Newton Abbot). I can't describe the colours and scents of the huge range of orchids they raise - and could happily have spent hours there, had the BlethersBrood not been champing to set off for the Marble factory down the road!

Anyway, MrB recently bought me this one - and, so far, I've not managed to kill it!

Next, surely a case of mis-advertising by TKMaxx!! The store are selling this container as a WINE caddy!! DD1 and I were browsing around the store on a general mooch when I spied this wee beauty. Wine caddy??? Surely not! It absolutely shouted 'NEEDLE CASE' to me. And yehhhhh, it holds loads of 36cm needles perfectly....

[There are a few knitters out there who have had the mis/fortune of observing my knitting style first hand... Yes, of course, I always use 36cm needles - how else would I master the art of being a needle tucker;) !!]

11 Comments:

Blogger Eduardo Waghorn said...

Hello there!
Nice and interesting blog, I want to send you warm greetings from Chile.
Visit me if you want, you can translate my blogs to your own language if you prefer...
A hug!

Thursday, August 30, 2007  
Blogger Sarah said...

The orchid is beautiful! I love them very much, but sadly haven't been able to keep them going for more than a couple of years. I think I will have to get some of those wine caddy needle cases for myself!

Thursday, August 30, 2007  
Blogger blog-blethers said...

Thank you for stopping by, Eduardo. What stunning photo's you have on your blogs!

Knittin'_kitten, what beautiful work on Tomato - it's stunning! DD1 just wandered past my screen and announced 'That's lovely. Can you do one for me?' Honestly, praise does not come more highly from a hormonal 18 year old:)

Thursday, August 30, 2007  
Blogger Linda said...

That orchid is beautiful, I normally kill mine :(

Friday, August 31, 2007  
Blogger blog-blethers said...

awwww QOG .... I know how you feel! Give me a couple of week's more with this one;)

Friday, August 31, 2007  
Blogger blog-blethers said...

Ooooh, I've just seen a typo! Sorry, Queen of FROGGERS (no Q!!)

Friday, August 31, 2007  
Blogger Ling said...

Love the orchid. I've got one which I managed to flower once in 8 years!

Saturday, September 01, 2007  
Blogger Ang said...

Your orchid is beautiful, I'm useless with indoor plants, gimme a garden any day.

That wine caddy is so definitely a needle case, I think I would have done the same!

So you're a needle tucker? My MIL was too, great to watch.

Sunday, September 02, 2007  
Blogger Fiona Reynolds said...

Oooh, fab 'needles holder' - that really is just the job.

Sunday, September 02, 2007  
Blogger dreamcatcher said...

Beautiful orchid :-) I love the needle caddy - I have a glass vase from M&S and some Stolichnaya tins LOL :-D

Sunday, September 02, 2007  
Blogger blog-blethers said...

Once in 8 years, Ling ... that's better than I'm likely to do with this one as it was flowering when OH bought it:)

It's fascinating to see what we all keep our needles, projects and stash in, Dreamcatcher, isn't it? My dpn's are in a rather swanky shortbread tube!!

Riggwelter, yep, I am apparently a needle tucker (somebody has to be, eh??). My technique raised a bit of a giggle after a whole bunch of us from the Crafty Threads n'Yarns met up at a Get Knitted open day in Bristol. To be honest, I'd not really noticed it before - am pretty sure that my mother used to knit the same way too... (lol) must have picked up her dodgy habits!

Sunday, September 02, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home