Thursday 7 June 2007

Uncharted territory!

I love cables ... love arans ... the more complex the pattern the more I like it! However, what is it about me and charts??? I become a gibbering eejit when presented with a pattern in chart form! Give me an olde worlde pattern with the instructions written out row by row and I'll show you one very happy, unstressed cabler:) However, there are such beautiful patterns available now in charted format that I'm biting the bullet (0r chart deciphering skills) and am making reasonable headway on Norah Gaughan's stunning Turbulence U neck jumper (pattern in Norah's Knitting Nature book ... what stunning patterns in this book. I love it!).

The pattern recommends that you use Berroco Softtwist yarn which I found extremely difficult (impossible!) to source in the UK. I now have some winging its way to me from the States (Thank you, texasyarns, eBay seller) in a lovely taupe shade. However, I was so keen to cast on this jumper, I have subbed and am doing my original, pilot-run in Debbie Bliss Cotton dk (a humungous thanks to the de-stashing Pictish on Crafty Yarns N'Threads forum!!) in a glorious terracotta shade. My knitted wardrobe will overflo'eth! Will post progress pic over the weekend...

And on a celebratory note, guess who's the birthday girl today ... Isla, the returnee pup, is one today. Maybe better not remind MrB of the date as it'll trigger memories of the £280+ caesarian section vet bill:) Wasn't she worth it though!

And on a final very excited note, my Berroco yarn has just been delivered to the door in the last 5 minutes! MUST, must finish the one on the needles at the moment!!

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Piglottie said...

I was a chart virgin until I took the plunge now that I'm knitting Shoalwater. Luckily, the pattern is in both chart and written form, so at first it was really helpful being able to check back and forth. I never thought I would say this, but I now am finding the chart really easy.

Happy Birthday Isla!

Friday, June 08, 2007  
Blogger Ang said...

I love cables too, the more intricate the better!

Such a cute pup!

Friday, June 08, 2007  
Blogger Auntie Noo said...

I did the same as PL first time I used a chart and found a pattern with both. I always re-write the chart too, onto squared notepaper, somehow it makes more sense if I write it!!!!!!

Friday, June 08, 2007  
Blogger Linda said...

Happy birthday Isla! I love charts, I just get so lost with written instructions!

Friday, June 08, 2007  
Blogger blog-blethers said...

Well, I've decided I'm a writer too! Managed most of the chart without any problem, until I reached Row 19. Disaster struck! 4 attempts and nearly 5 hours later, battle won! But have now got the whole cable neck pattern translated from chart to written word should anyone ever want it!

Sunday, June 10, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home