Sunday 8 April 2007

A little bit of everything!

I've been neglectful of my blog, so had better remedy the situation:o)

On the knitting front, I finally finished Flickering Flames socks (pattern by Black Dog Knits) and entered them into the monthly Sock-a-month challenge draw (Crafty Yarns n'Things forum) by the skin of my ... grafting! DD1 loves them and they are on her feet again! The pattern is really effective but when I do it again I'd prefer to take the pattern down the foot as the designer planned (DD1 only wanted the pattern on the cuff) and I'd use a different yarn. I found the Diploma 4ply was prone to splitting a little and was not that keen on the texture as I knitted. I've also nearly completed the back of a Celandine Tank for DD1 in Louisa Harding Kimono Angora... progress pics to follow!

We've had a lovely weekend so far - the girls and I went out shopping on Friday (resulting in 2 happy young ladies and one lighter maternal purse!). We ended the trip in Borders bookshop - with DD1 and I browsing to our hearts content and DD2 huffing and puffing, with a pained expression worthy of an Oscar before we provided refreshment anaesthetic in the form of a strawberry frappina and any cake of her choice from the cafe upstairs!!

Today, we drove to Rhondda valley on the outskirts of Pontypridd and walked the 3 dogs over the hillside. Islay, the fatted pup who came home, was in her element as I don't think she has had a walk like that before, with so much freedom ... and sooooo much scope to roll in ecstasy in various piles of nature's treasures (certainly the horse dung seemed to be her particular favourite). Yeuch!!!

DD2 has plans afoot for me tomorrow ... she hopes to drag me down to the retail area in Cardiff Bay. She is trying to convince me she needs a pair of yellow shoes. Mothers of the world unite here please and support me in my maternal protestation ... wants is not the same as needs!! My plans for tomorrow do not involve retail therapy of any description. The dissertation is to have the dust blown off for a couple of hours and I've to muster together at least a few paragraphs towards the next chapter:( And then, I plan to read a little more of the book I bought in Borders. My last read was 'The Island' by Victoria Hislop. It's the tale of several generations of a family ... of their past and secrets. I enjoyed it even more as its set in Crete and focuses on Spinalonga (a tiny island off the coast of Crete which served as a leper colony until 1957!!), Elounda and Aghios Nikolas ... all places I spent time in during a past holiday (err ... honeymoon actually ... but that feels like a different life ago!). This new read is more challenging to get into - Be Near Me by Andrew O'Hagan (longlisted for the Man Booker Prize 2006). Its set in Ayrshire and the lead character is a priest in the local community, and explores class and religious divides.

The only other mini success around at the moment is that there's now less of me!! I've signed up to a GI diet plan online having had no success in shifting any weight by myself (and being thoroughly fed up off my ballooning weight since I started on steroids nearly 4 years ago). I can't pretend for a second I understand the dietetic theory behind how the diet works ... but have just followed it blindly for the past 2 weeks and have lost 5lbs so far!! Just think, the smaller I get ... the less yarn I'll need for a garment ... and smaller garments might be finished off quicker ... leading to a slightly more productive blog!! See, there IS method in my madness:o)

Labels: , , , ,

15 Comments:

Blogger Scottishf said...

Great socks :-) Good luck with GI it really does seem to work (when I was following it a lot more closely than I am now with my Easter Eggs!!).

Monday, April 09, 2007  
Blogger gilraen said...

Your socks are fabulous!! :)

Sympathies on the retail front I tell my first born I need another job to keep him in his 'wants' :roll: :)

Good Luck.

Monday, April 09, 2007  
Blogger blog-blethers said...

But doesn't the Easter Egg diet sound so much more fun, scottishf:o) I reckon I'd be fairly comfortably off if it wasn't for my cherubs and their want/need/I'll die if I don't get lists ... DD1 is far more constrained and is almost self funding from her wee part time job (till she hits uni and then the bills start rolling in again!). DD2 is off into to town to get the yellow shoes she needs (???) from her Easter money ... obviously to match her ONE yellow top!!!

Monday, April 09, 2007  
Blogger Linda said...

Your socks are lovely. Well done on the diet. It is so hard to lose weight but so easy to put it on isn't it!!

Monday, April 09, 2007  
Blogger blog-blethers said...

... very true, QF! If only I knitted as fast as I can put weight on;o) Trying to decide which socks to do for next month's challenge ... thinking of Purple Iris socks in Lorna's Laces??

Monday, April 09, 2007  
Blogger belaybunny said...

well done with the socks, they look fabulous!! And yellow shoes - will she still be wearing them in a few months???

Wednesday, April 11, 2007  
Blogger Ang said...

Those socks look fab, well done you.

I love the Rhondda Valley, so pretty isn't it?

Good luck with the diet and I'd love to agree with you on the shoes from a money point of view...but yellow shoes? A girls gotta have 'em!

Thursday, April 12, 2007  
Blogger Joy said...

Your socks are lovely - did you ever get the yellow shoes? My daughter has some hideous ones from New Look - worn once but at least they only cost her a tenner ;)

I had the Victoria Hislop for Christmas - it's next on my "to read" list.

Friday, April 13, 2007  
Blogger miss mandy of flitwick said...

I love Yellow shoes and used to live in a pair of canary yellow doc martins, untill they really did fall off my feet. So I have to agree with your DD, sorry.
The socks are lovely really pretty

Sunday, April 15, 2007  
Blogger TutleyMutley said...

Congrats on the weight loss! I too am struggling. (got so fat I couldn't fit in my kayak - now there's an incentive LOL!).

Dogs and smelly things :-( Mine EAT horse poo!

And lovely socks - though I've already seen them over at the forum...

Sunday, April 15, 2007  
Blogger Fiona Reynolds said...

Lovely socks.

You sound very busy at the moment.

Tuesday, April 17, 2007  
Blogger blog-blethers said...

lol all right ... all right ... I GAVE IN!! You lovely lot can now add Shoe Stash Enhancers to your meritous titles;o) MadameBlethers is now the proud wearer of some YELLOW shoes!!! And I hear where your coming from - sometimes 'I want, does get';o) Actually, I've been set off on memmory lane here - what a fantastic meme maybe??? Meme theme ... The mortifying shoes we've had that we thought were 'Cinderalla's slippers'at the time. I hold my hands up to a pair of red and green shiny platform slingbacks that I bought at a Brownie's Jumble Sale. I thought they were fab (Hey, I was a Brownie at the time, so about 8-9!!).

Go on ... you know you're bursting to reveal your footwear howlers!!

And ... shhhhhh ... don't tell MadameBlethers .... I had yellow shoes (matching plastic beads and pan drop ear-rings) in the early '80s!! And jade green ... and electric blue ... and powder blue ... and ...

;o) Wonder where she gets her footwear fetish from???

Tuesday, April 17, 2007  
Blogger Ang said...

Lovely 80's collection there, do you still have 'em? I cringe everytime some one mentions ra ra skirts and jumpsuits!

I don't remember having particularly scary footwear, but clothes, yes...

hangs head in shame...

Friday, April 27, 2007  
Blogger Ang said...

Hope you're ok hun. x

Wednesday, May 09, 2007  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hello, I'm another knitter from Wales. I'm tagging you with a randon things tag! Check out my blog for details. http://www.kellylovesknitting.blogspot.com/

Friday, June 01, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home