Sunday 21 January 2007

Disorientated in time - MsFebruary socks!


Pic 1: heel flap
Pic 2: One down, one to go!

Ahhh, there were those who said old MsBlethers, famed for her non-completion, flighty moving from unfinished WIP to the other, would not manage to keep going with the Sock-a-month challenge (Crafty Yarns N'Threads forum)... and that I would fall by the wayside (or at least enter the world of lone soldier socks, wasting away in isolation in the sock drawer). Ok, my biggest doubter was, in fact, me! For the past few months, I've been plagued with non-finishitis and have added considerably (and somewhat embarassingly) to the collection of poly carrier bags which house my WIPs! This situation has been compounded in part by changes in medication, with the overall aim of reducing my steroids. And, oh boy, am I feeling it ... I've got pain and inflammation at the moment in joints I didn't even know I had!! Despite this, (or maybe, because of this ... knitting seems to have a meditative effect on me and I am certainly less conscioulsy aware of discomfort when I have knitting needles in my dodgy hands), I have finished MrJanuary socks (see thread below) and am on the SECOND sock of my cuddly, cosy MsFebruary pair!! These are for DD1 and are so soft and snuggly, they feel like little Alpaca clouds. I've used Sue Morgan's Slouch sock pattern. I found the lacy rib a bit of a challenge till I got going; it then becomes a rhythmic pattern that's easily remembered. The instructions that followed the lacy part ie. to turn the sock, completely flummoxed me until FatCat (fellow forumee) came to the rescue! I remembered she had completed this pattern on another forum and I went off and searched for her tips. With her help, it all fell into place. Although the Alpaca yarn will be beautiful to wear, I am not convinced it best shows off the detail in the cuff or lacy heel flap. If I do these again (and I am sure I will ... DD1 loves the pattern) then I reckon I'll try an ordinary 4ply as a sub.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Piglottie said...

I love the slouch socks, and such a pretty colour. I hope your aches and pains are gone, and that you are feeling better. And well done on rising to the challenge of sockamonth!

Wednesday, January 24, 2007  
Blogger Catknit said...

very nice sockies and on to the Feb pair already! I'm still plodding along on Januarys due to various hand ailments;-(

Wednesday, January 24, 2007  
Blogger blog-blethers said...

Thank you, P and C, for your lovely comments! We are a bunch, aren't we?? Am planning to contact rheumatologist this week to see if we can dampen down this current flare-up ... otherwise, February socks will be completed in September:( Hope you are both feeling better

Wednesday, January 24, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

They're gorgeous. Carry on and they will become Ms January socks instead. You've got a few days to go yet. Hope you get the pain under control again soon. It's awful to have flare ups like that.

Friday, January 26, 2007  
Blogger Badger said...

They look great, and you're certainly a speedy knitter!

Saturday, January 27, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So glad my forum ramblings helped you on the way with this one. It's looking really good, such a pretty colour :-)

Tuesday, January 30, 2007  
Blogger belaybunny said...

Looking lovely so far. congrats to DD on her birthday :)

Wednesday, January 31, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home