Sunday 27 August 2006

The silence is deafening

The girls have both been away for the past few days. DD1 is off with friends to Southport and had no requests so far to post bail or come to the rescue in any shape or form! DD2 flew up to Glasgow to spend a few days with her dad and his new partner. Stepsons are also away on holiday with their mum and her partner... We have been left babysitting SS2's puppy, Souchi - one of Molly's 4 puppies. Souchi has made herself 'at home'; hounding her mother and aunt, chewing brushes, knitting needles (aggghhhhh has she NO shame!) and mooched down for the night in our bed, refusing to sleep anywhere else (and for a small baby she sure takes up a fair bit of a kingsize bed!!!).

It's the strangest thing though ... Most of us parents (particularly when 'surviving' our offsprings' adolescence) dream of more peaceful times. However, I can't wait till they all start arriving back tomorrow, shattering the peace - squabbling over clothes, pushing boundaries, laughing, arguing over the remote control, making mess, laundry on the floor... Sometimes, silence can be deafening, can't it? Some undeniable perks have included a mega-blitz on DD2's bedroom (SIX, I repeat, SIX black bags of rubbish removed; undisturbed knitting time; the phone's been available whenever I have wanted it; and I have been able to play my music at full pelt! I bought, as a Bank Holiday treat, Keane's 'Under the Iron Sea', Snow Patrol's 'Eyes Open' and 'St Elsewhere' by Gnarls Barkley. If the neighbours complain, I'll blame the imaginary kids!!

5 Comments:

Blogger Ling said...

I know the feeling ... you wanna get rid of them when they are there, and when they are gone, you miss them loads.

I have yet to try the Cascade 220, but there are a few projects on the cusp of being started, so keep watching.... (It feels very soft. I don't have a wool winder, so the hours of winding is putting me off!!).

BTW, good music choice!

Sunday, August 27, 2006  
Blogger blog-blethers said...

Ling, THAT'S it just to a tee! Dream of 10 minutes peace and then wish them back as quickly as they have left! Will keep watching to hear how you get on with the Cascade ... it looks fab! Am off to the Get Knitted Open Day on Saturday and plan to have a fondle then!! I don't have an official wool winder either ... poor youngest daughter fills that role (much to her dismay!).

Sunday, August 27, 2006  
Blogger blog-blethers said...

Whoops! Forgot to ask how the sock was coming on, Ling?

Sunday, August 27, 2006  
Blogger Badger said...

And when they're back you'll be desperate for peace! Such is the life of a parent!

Sunday, August 27, 2006  
Blogger Angels & Sparkles said...

hi,
I did indeed survive the Games. It's a shame. It rained... alllll day! I nipped out in the morning for a bit and got soaked so I started my Clapotis and have almost finished the second section. I'm glad you enjoyed your peace and quiet. You have great taste in music!

Monday, August 28, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home