Monday 31 July 2006

I've started .... so I'll b***dy well finish!


Another wee sock fantasy moment - that one day I will be good enough to produce these! A combination of 2 of my 'loves' - socks and Charles Rennie MacIntosh. The pattern for these beauts (by Dawn Brocca) is available at: http://www.dawnbrocco.com/patterns/artnouvearose.html)
Charles Rennie MacIntosh is the reknowned Scottish Architect who played a key role in the Art Noveau era. My love of his designs is well known amongst family and friends; and they often give me pieces in that design style for birthdays and Christmas. At the moment, my collection comprises of bracelets, ear rings, necklaces, watch, table mats, glass, mugs, kitchen storage jars, candle stick holders, vases, pens, paper weights and (errrrr) sitting room wall paper! (Does that read as a tadge obsessional???). I love having some of my Scottish heritage in my welsh home. Wouldn't these socks just add the glace cherry to my collection??

Have spent some of this evening doggedly working away on the 'oh so Beautiful' sock (by Judy Sumner). Please forgive me Ms Sumner and all Sumner sock fans, but this is proving to be just a labour and definitely not a labour of love. Am not sure if it's the pattern I am not keen on - though certainly it's only 4 rows and very easy to commit to memory ... or if (shock horror!!) its the Lorna's Laces yarn DD2 selected for the project. Bless her non-cotton socks, she determined she absolutely had to have them done in LL Sherbet - which must rank as the only Lorna's Laces colourway I can't bear! I drool over nearly the whole range ... have recently bought Black Watch, Black Purl and Tuscanny. I fantasise over placing a dream bulk order for:

  1. Purple Club
  2. Wisteria
  3. Mother Lode
  4. Somerset
  5. Baltic Sea
  6. River
  7. Watercolor
  8. Lakeview ....

I can lull myself into an almost trance-like state imagining the big parcel arriving at the door ... the anticipation ... the unwrapping ... stroking ... touching... Ohhhhh, had better stop before this becomes a 'naughty dream'; but you do get the picture??

Instead I am sitting with a look of steely determination, chanting a mantra 'You are knitting NOTHING else until THESE are done'....

3 Comments:

Blogger Badger said...

Those Rennie MacIntosh socks are stunning!

I know what you mean about the sherbet colourway - it's not the nicest one they produce. I love the ones you've put on your fantasy sock yarn list - clearly you're a woman of excellent taste!

Wednesday, August 02, 2006  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks for the comment on my blog. You really must make some Jaywalkers. The yarn I used was from Curious Yarns and I think the colour was Fairground although they turned out to be more purple than I expected.

Thursday, August 03, 2006  
Blogger blog-blethers said...

When I have done LOADS more sock practice we could try a Rennie MacIntosh sock KAL ... they are wayyyyy beyond me at the moment! Badger you are soooo discrete about sherbet - I could be much less so, but have successfully completed the sock mission and no longer have to look at them, until laundry day! The others I just love and would love to try Jaywalker in any of those others listed

Sunday, August 06, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home